Monday, July 12, 2010

Some days require...Facebook?

I ran into my cousin yesterday at Afrofest (which incidentally was amazing - loved the Congolese singer!). My cousin is one of the few people I know who is not on Facebook - he has reasons. We can all think of reasons not to be on it, right? Privacy concerns not the least of them. But, I think it's too late for me. I find it hard not to log in at least once a day. Even if it's for a few minutes I have to get on and check my home page...it's where I go to see what my friends are up to, catch up day's biggest news story or sports event (congratulations Spain!) and even make plans or find out what's going on in the city that night.

Today I realized another reason that I love Facebook. Of course I check up on friends, sometimes living vicarioulsy through their photo albums (we can't all be hanging out by the Eiffel Tower or drinking Fanta and gin on a beach in Barcelona or packing up and heading to Addis for 7 months!!!). But more importantly, even when I haven't seen a friend for a while or even talked to him/her for days, weeks, months, (and sometimes) years, social networking allows something more. There are people that I wish I could see more of, whose energy is so positive and pure that to be in their company enlifts my soul. And sometimes, as they say 'life gets in the way'. And so I venture online and do some "Facebook stalking"* and through status updates, profile picture updates, likes and wall posts (even if they're not to me) I can recapture the very essence of anyone I want. Whether it's my best friend whose infectious laugh always cheers me up, or my boo whose shenanigans and Americanisms keep me entertained, or my godmother and her funny Tigrenglish (Tigrinia/English) - whoever I happen to be needing in my life - it allows me to connect, to feel enlifted and peaceful as only a good friend can. :)

“In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.” ~Kahlil Gibran

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!