Monday, September 27, 2010

Time is an Illusion

“When I was young I was sure of everything; in a few years, having been mistaken a thousand times, I was not half so sure of most things as I was before; at present, I am hardly sure of anything but what God has revealed to me.” ~John Wesley


Everything happens for a reason. It's such a simple thought but something that I didn't understand for the first 27 years or so of my life. Every moment, every thought, every breath, every person, every THING in my life has a reason for existing. There are times when I forget this and when things begin to get complicated again.

But I remind myself that the universe has a plan, God has a plan and I'm too small to see even a portion of that plan. I remind myself that the past doesn't exist - it's over, it's not anywhere except in my mind, in our memories. I remind myself that the future doesn't exist - at any given time there are infinite futures and until the present moment and all it's choices are over, no future is even guaranteed. So the only thing that exists is now. The moment that we are living is the only thing that actually exists.

I want to enjoy the moment. I want to BE IN the moment. So I remind myself to feel it, to breathe (in for 5, hold for 5, out for 5), to BE the moment. And even as I remind myself I see the other me watching - the me that is outside the moment, always thinking, always worrying, always planning, always, always, always.

I hope one day I won't have to remind myself. That I will learn to forget that anything other than now has ever been.

“In rivers, the water that you touch is the last of what has passed and the first of that which comes; so with present time.” ~Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!